You might think over the last few years America’s popularity around the world has taken something of a battering. Yet the annual Anholt-GfK Nation Brands Index, an international survey measuring the popularity of countries around the world by polling 20,000 people across 20 countries, says otherwise. In fact, in this year’s survey, the United States came second behind Germany and just ahead of the UK. But despite all the love and respect for many aspects of the American way of life, there are many American customs that non-Americans find, frankly, bizarre. To see for yourself, here are 29 recently shared on Reddit.
1. Enormous gaps around toilet doors.
2. TV commercials for prescription drugs.
3. “You motherbeeeep ” …. no swearing on TV.
4. 21-years old drinking age. You can drive before drinking your first beer.
5. Showing decapitations in TV/movies while hiding nipples.
6. Banning Kinder Surprise chocolates.
7. Fat cops.
8. Not putting sales tax in the original price.
9. Holding elections on Tuesdays.
10. The fact that filming of porn is legal, but prostitution isn’t.
11. Beauty pageants for children.
12. How people ask “How you doing?” without expecting or wanting a real answer.
13. The huge amount of food that goes into every single meal.
14. Black Friday.
15. That lobbying isn’t seen as legal corruption.
16. Having a “Thank you for your service” attitude, with so many homeless veterans.
17. Swearing allegiance to a flag.
19. The urge to call so many bars Irish when they’re so clearly not.
20. The fact that healthcare is considered a privilege.
21. That the lack of minimum mandatory paid leave and parental leave is so readily accepted by people.
22. That rather than pay a decent living wage tipping is made mandatory.
23. All those guns.
24. Leaving your shoes on when you enter a house.
25. College fraternities and sororities.