70 years ago Finland was still something of an agrarian backwater. Fast forward to today and Finns live in one of the most futuristic societies on earth. They might not be teleporting to their summer cottages yet or clearing snow with robot servants, but here’s are 7 wonderful ways that Finns are already enjoying life in the future every single day.
Haven’t we all thought about how to save time and money on life’s daily commutes? Owning a car is the ultimate convenience, but it costs a fortune and yet still breaks down the moment you need it the most. But without that precious car, how can you get from point A to point B quickly and easily?
What you might not know is this: forecasts show that the revenues for global mobility market will exceed 1 trillion dollars by 2030. Thanks to keen-eyed entrepreneurs, the vast market of urban commuting is booming with tons of fresh ideas. Just take a look at these five funny-but-functional ideas that can help you tackle urban travel, and one that we think is going to change how we move about our cities forever.
Call it SF, call it speculative fiction, call it slipstream – hey, we hear you can even call it structural fabulation. We’re not going to quibble on the nitty-gritty of nomenclature. What we do know is that these texts, however diverse, are yoked together by their reimaginings of reality – think parallel and sinister sister societies, alien worlds, or our own Earth, subtly altered. And the power of SF is that by lifting us into an alienating place or time, it allows us to see our own world differently. Below is a brief selection of our particular SF mind-blowing favourites. Feel free, as ever, to add more in the comments…
The indexed web contains an incredible 14 billion pages. But only a tiny fraction help you improve your brain power. Here are 40 of the best.
whizzpast.com – Learn about our awe inspiring past all in one wonderful place.
khanacademy.org – Watch thousands of micro-lectures on topics ranging from history and medicine to chemistry and computer science.
freerice.com – Help end world hunger by correctly answering multiple-choice quizzes on a wide variety of subjects.
1. Hopping on the back of a shopping trolley and riding it like a scooter.
2. Popping bubble wrap.
3. Jumping into piles of Autumn leaves.
An Ink Tank Media Publication
Ink Tank Media is Finland's finest international content marketing agency. Based in Helsinki, its award-winning writers, filmmakers, illustrators and artists have years of experience creating amazing digital stories for audiences across the globe.
Things we love: Toilet humour https://t.co/20TR94HW3u
- Saturday May 27 - 10:57am
Winning Facebook! :) https://t.co/Wct2ImLWPk
- Monday May 15 - 5:55am
- Very Finnish Problems Episode 3: When alcohol is an excuse to go insane
- 13 fantastically fun tweets that savaged Theresa May’s election disaster
- #ThingsThatLeaveBritainReeling: the very British response to the London terror attack
- 11 wonderful ways the internet’s destroyed Theresa May’s “strong and stable” PR spin
- 7 reasons why Finns are living in the future
- Ihana kesä! The history of hot Helsinki summers, in pics
- Very Finnish Problems Episode 2: When the summer cottage is more labour camp than holiday camp